Monday, February 9, 2009

eBook Review: Launching a Successful Freelance Web Writing Career

I spent the weekend reading Jennifer Mattern's ebook, Launching a Successful Freelance Web Writing Career. She is also the author of two blogs: All Freelance Writing and Web Writer's Guide - Your Guide to Making REAL Money Writing for the Web. It's the first in a series of up and coming ebooks written to help newbies navigate the often confusing, and sometimes intimidating, world of freelance writing.

Get ready to take the leap...

I have been freelancing now for a little over a year and a half so I still consider myself a newbie. Taking that step to go full-time was for me one of the best decisions I've ever made. That's why I started this blog – to share my own mistakes and learning experiences with others who still haven't make that step or are just getting started building their own freelance writing careers. If I can do it, so can you.

Back in December, I promised you that I would be reviewing two ebooks that would give you the knowledge you need to start your own freelancing business, or rework your current strategy so that you work smarter, not harder. The first was Yuwanda Black's ebook.

Clear instructions for web writing success

I have people contact me by email from time to time asking for advice, and I share what I know without reservation. But if you are someone who needs to make a choice soon, but you're terrified and need someone to hold your hand, this ebook was written just for you. Jennifer spends 100 pages explaining in painstaking detail everything you need to know and do to get your web writing business off the ground and start getting clients.

There's always more to learn

I'll admit it; I was a little cocky when I purchased the book since it's aimed at those who are brand new to freelance writing. I automatically assumed that whatever basics she covered I already knew. It's true, I was familiar with a lot of what she writes, but after reading this book I realize that there is plenty I don't know. Now Jennifer has me rethinking a lot of my own business strategy and how to position myself for the long haul.

You don't just get an ebook...

Jennifer includes lots of very helpful worksheets included with the ebook. The section on setting rates even comes with a handy worksheet to help you establish real rates you can live with. She explains how a big problem many freelancers have with setting rates is they base everything on billable hours when we spend at least half of our working day on various administrative tasks. We also must take into account that we probably won't work 52 weeks straight for 40 hours a week, 365 days a year. Setting the right rates keeps you covered, and her worksheet shows you how.

She covers important issues like how to zero in on your target audience, find high-paying gigs that aren't advertised and my favorite – consistently marketing your services. The worksheets will help you learn to apply strategy to the way you operate your freelance writing business. She even includes a one page Freelance Business Plan worksheet to help you start setting and reaching your web writing goals.


I am not an affiliate of this ebook – in fact there is no longer an affiliate program set up for this product. But I am blown away by the detailed information she shares and how plainly she communicates to make sure her advice is perfectly clear. It's literally like taking a course on "How to Become a Freelance Writer."

Jennifer Mattern Blogs HERE on Thursday!

Be sure to stop by on Thursday, February 12 when Jennifer Mattern will be blogging here at Avid Writer to share valuable freelance web writing tips and provide readers with a special discount on her ebook. I can't wait!





















guest

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena