Friday, December 19, 2008

A Freelancer's Quest for Self-Improvement

I recently received three sessions with a life coach courtesy of our "meeting" on Twitter. She offered the first five people who went to her blog and signed up three free sessions, and I jumped at the chance. I have been hearing a lot abut how coaches help people become more organized, productive and balance work life with family life. I needed help with all of the above. Badly. I wasn't sure how she could cure me in just three sessions, but I was willing to give it a shot.

Visualize your success

One of the first things she explained to me was how her methods are largely based on the Law of Attraction. She instructed me to create a "visualization board." I could do it on my computer if I were technically savvy (which I'm not), so I chose to do it the old fashioned way. I listed my personal and professional goals and spent quality time with my kids cutting pictures out of magazines that illustrated those things for me ("O Magazine" is great for this kind of project, BTW!).

Declutter your surroundings

I think it's true that a cluttered space can clutter up everything else in your life. I am a minimalist married to a closet hoarder. I am slowly decluttering our space, secretly taking things to Goodwill while he's at work (not his sentimental things though).

Welcome to the 21st century

My coach spent a lot of time coaxing me to join her in the 21st century. Now that's funny considering I make my living with a virtual business. But I still rely on old-school ways of doing things – I write everything down in a day planner instead of using Google Calendar's awesome features as she suggested. BachelorsDegreeOnline.com has a post revealing 50 useful applications for writers you'll find interesting.

For many of us, the end of the year is a wonderful time to reflect and prepare to have a better new year. I'm getting ready – how about you?

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena