Friday, July 4, 2008

Why I work on Holidays

It's the 4th of July, and all is quiet on the freelancing front. Since most of my clients are here in the US, they are taking it easy today – only one is working right now (I can see him – he's on Skype right now), but I'm sure he'll take off early though. Even some of my favorite blogs seem to be taking the day off – well deserved I say!

But I am a glutton for punishment
– a workaholic if you will. I find holidays are great times for me to catch up on doing work for my own business. It's quiet, and I don't have to keep checking my email or stick close to my computer in case an important Skype message pops up. I can prepare marketing materials and blog posts for next week to give me a nice head start. I'll even work on a couple of client projects just to maintain my momentum. I can take my time and work at my own pace. I don't want sit on all of my projects and play all day today just to feel overwhelmed come Monday.

Time off is important – especially spending time with family. Most of my family has plans for a big poolside cookout tomorrow and I'm looking forward it! I'm realizing how hard it can be to know when to stop working when you run your own business – especially if you don't keep predictable hours and have little people clamoring around you all day. But you have to know when to relax and enjoy life too – balance. Hope everyone is having a great day!

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena