Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Does Your Freelance Writing Business Really Deliver?

Recently a local client contacted me about my freelance writing services. He had a laundry list of projects he wanted help with – some writing related, some not so much. I started to get sucked in because I had no real focus about the writing services I provided. The money sounded good and I was ready to cash in!

But in the end I was so distracted by the money I couldn't see that I was not a good fit for this client, and vice versa. There were red flags all over the place and I wasted a lot of everyone's time looking the other way. Even though I happily accept the general label "freelance writer," I am committed to focusing more on what skills I bring to the table when determining my deliverables. Christine O'Kelly of www.SelfMadeChick.com wrote about the importance of establishing clear deliverables for freelance writing businesses in her ebook This will make it easier to market my services, and offer my clients top notch writing services in the areas of my expertise. I can say "yes" more confidently when asked to do a project, and I'll know when it's appropriate to turn work down. Trying to be all things to all clients will only end up making my business mediocre at best, and that's just not good enough.

No comments:

 
Designed by Lena